A strong sense of purpose is an important source of energy. There is a simple way to experience more purpose in your life tomorrow. It is THE first AND easiest step. And it is based on 1 simple insight. An insight that we too often overlook. And a simple act that we can practice often.
The key is: added value for another individual. Something that you ‘give’ to someone else. See this purely as a transaction. You give something, but at the same time want to be confirmed by the other that he / she is happy with your gift. Knowing that your gift is of added value gives satisfaction and a sense of purpose.
What’s the core?
What you ‘give’ can be anything. From a concrete item to just listening and being there for a friend. But it is not about the ‘product’, but about what that ‘product’ brings to the other in added value. How does that person benefit from the product?
It is therefore about the translation from PRODUCT to ADDED VALUE
- A CEO gives through a vision and strategy (the product) for example;
- clarity, structure, direction, certainty, etc.
- A comedian via jokes (the product) for example;
- humor, perspective, relaxation, etc.
- A greengrocer via fruit and vegetables (the product) for example;
- health, a good sensory experience (something tasty),
- A psychologist through a conversation, or session (the product) for example;
- recognition, clarity, security, hope, etc.
Then how do you feel this sense of purpose?
You find meaning and purpose in the eyes of someone else. At the time of exchange. The moment you see that the other person is happy with your gift. It is precisely in that moment that an enormous source of meaning is hidden. And the more of those moments you consciously experience in a day, the more satisfaction you will experience at the end of the day. Just try it for a day.
- Think for yourself what you prefer to give to someone else. What do you prefer to make someone else happy? What added value do you prefer to offer? (Please contact us if you want to receive a list on which you can easily select)
- In the morning, think about what moments during the day will occur, that provide the opportunity that you can give this to someone else in a small way.
- Be aware to practice especially in the small daily moments and small exchanges you have with others in a day. (in public transport, in shops, with your colleagues, with your family members, during sports, or outings)
- Be aware of what you are giving and the time of the transaction.
- Then look the other in the eye and see what your gift means to the other.
Comments are closed.